Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Unforgettable

As I entered the school premises, a child saw me and came running towards me. A few more followed and soon they were all around me, asking me a million questions. Some of them came and hugged me and held my hand. I had a tough time trying to talk to all of them, so as not to make any one of them feel left out.

‘Suma, how are you?’ ‘Why did you leave the school Suma?’ ‘Did you like my project?’ ‘We miss you a lot’ ‘please give us your phone number and email id’
They said these and a million other things. One child wanted to show me that she had recently got braces on her teeth and that she felt they made her look ugly. I told her that she looked beautiful and that brought a smile to her face.
Another child was annoyed as I was not in the school on his birthday. I meekly apologized and wished him. Yet another child wanted to know whether I would return to the school and I assured him in the negative.
And all this took place just inside the main entrance of the school premises. People who had come to visit the school, parents who had some work in the school office, security guards at the gate, all of them witnessed this. I felt extremely awkward, but the kids didn’t feel that at all. I guess when we are grown up we stop taking things as they are and start analyzing things for no reason, in the process we forget to enjoy what is ‘there’.
Never in my life have I been loved and wanted so much. A teacher who saw this scene, came up to me and said," How can you even think of leaving these children who love you so much?"

All throughout my school life I tried so hard to set in, to gel, to be a ‘part’, but failed. And now, here I am………..when I quit trying, I have it all in my lap……
I was working with a school as an English mentor for the past one year. The past one year has been the most memorable time of my life. I recently left my job (if one calls it that). The above incident happened when I had gone back to the school for some winding up. The kind of love I got from the students cannot be described. I was just a normal person who mentored children, but these very children made me feel at the top of the world, made me feel that I am an incredible person from within.
It is an experience I can never ever forget.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The most important things in life are realised when you attempt to do anything just for the love of it and not considering it as a job to be completed.The very feelings that you have described speak for themselves that this is what you should be doing.I am so proud of you and I wish that you keep on discovering yourself in the same way.

Unknown said...

BEST TEACHER....this is wat can be said n should be said about u.A person realises the importance of giving importance and also the importance of love,only when one doesnt get it..or gets it,but doesnt know how to cherish it and most importantly VALUE it.U RELISED and u SHARED it with innocent people,who dont have biased minds.These small children are blessed with pure minds n u shared love with thm...so u always get the best.U proved to be the best teacher and i guess tat itself covers all the hardships u faced in school..u are made to appreciate others,remember, so somone up there or ur fate may be decided to first make u realise its importance n then share it...It was really a pleasure to read and it is so well written n from ur heart tat now i feel blessed tat i have a person with me, who in any point of my life, if i feel down or "not able" sort...will give me the best support....I KNOW TO WHOM IVE TO TURN TO......U

Deepa and Tanya said...

I know so well that it's the pure hearted and innocent children who are able to recognise the true intentions of an adult for they do not see what you are from the ouside but they have this uncanny way of recognising the "TRUE YOU" from deep within... this is something adults cannot do as our sight is so clouded by the falsities of the world we live in and create around us.
Children are not like us, therefore, I believe in them more than I do in adults, so Suma dear, you will always discover your true self and your true worth through them.As I have always told you that, this is what you are BEST at so, hone on these skills that you were born with. You are really GOOD and I am so very proud of you.
These children will be an instrument in your journey of self discovery and you will realise how GREAT you are and how much you have in you to mould thes young beings. Through them you will become immortal.
I wish you the very best in the years to come!!