Thursday, September 6, 2007

Report

"Today, I will announce the best reports"
Dandekar sir said this as soon as he entered the classroom.

A week back, we were taken to a nearby hill that served the purpose of a small picnic/trek. The next day, at school, we were asked to write a report on our trip. Like 40 others in my class, I had written it and submitted it.
Today, the class was quiet as this was something new for us. Besides, Dandekar sir was our principal too. So everyone was serious and silent. Sir called out one name after the other and handed out our report papers to us. While doing so, he was also voicing his remarks on the content. And suddenly, he called out my name....
I sat there tensed and ready for the blows. But none came, or to be true, the blow that came was severe enough to make me cry from within. He called my name and went on to say that I had written an excellent report!!!!!!
I just couldnt believe my ears. It felt like I was in a daze, as if all that was happening was unreal. He asked me to read my report and also asked me to explain what I meant by a particular sentence that seemed intense but had skipped his understanding. I explained the what I had meant through those words. But all this was happening to me, to ME!!!!!!
Was I worthy of this praise? I came home and read, and re-read my report. It had the words 'excellent report' written on it in red ink. It had got to be real if it was in red ink.

That, I believe was the first time I was ever appreciated for anything in school. So it was difficult for me to take it. I remember very well that I had gone home and cried a lot. But till this day and forever till I die, I will never forget what Dandekar sir gave me that day. For me, it was not just a remark, it was a way that I would have totally missed had it not been for him.

I think, I still have that paper somewhere in my trunk, yellowed, yet intact.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I rarely read any blog because i find them meaningless most of the times. However, this one is a 'must' read that beautifully depicts Suma's untraversed self in such an inexplicable way that i'm truly entranced with all my heart n soul!!!

To be very honest, no plaudit or remark can even match the sensitiveness of this small aricle that represents -"LIFE"