Thursday, September 6, 2007

Twelve years down memory lane

"Hey, Sumita, you have been called upstairs; on the terrace"
"Me? Why? Who has called me?
"The Principal"
"OOhhhhhhhhh!" Some of the students bellowed.
My heart was sounding like a drum. I dreaded the worst.

I was in high school; 9th if I remember well. Our daily assembly was conducted on the terrace of the school building. The incident took place one fine day(the day was fine, but as I was about to find out..... not for me) just after the assembly. I had just about reached my classroom, when suddenly a classmate came in running and informed me about my 'summons'.
I was extremely scared of what was about to follow. I expected something bad was to happen to me as I rarely went through anything good in my school life. As I was walking towards the terrace, I realised that I was not alone.There were a few others with a similar destination --- the terrace.
As I entered onto the terrace, I saw the Principal standing there along with a few other teachers. They all had a grim(almost cruel) look on their faces.There were a few other class children who were yet to go to their classes. They gave us looks that made me feel like I am a criminal. I felt like running back down the stairs and out of the building, but didnt. Instead, I went and stood in front of my teachers.All of them seemed to look at me with a wierd expression. I knew that I mustnt have done well in my exams. But why call me like this, for having not scored well? Why make me feel so embarassed in front of my classmates and the children who were still there on that terrace?
Well, the reason I was called there (as i rightly guessed) was simple --- I had failed miserably in two of my subjects. The teachers voiced their doubts about my promotion to the next class. And that next class being 10th, made matters even worse. I felt like a total loser.
I knew for sure that I was not as stupid as my marks proved me to be. But then, marks were what made all of us likeable or dislikable to teachers and fellow students. Marks sought us labels like intelligent, clever or .... dumb.
No one can ever imagine what a child like me went through. I also wanted to get good marks, like others. But I didnt know how. Or rather, now that I think back and look at myself in that situation, I realise that I didnt have enough confidence to believe that I could do it. I always BELIEVED that I couldnt......
My school didnt help me realise my potential. On the contrary, it punished me for what was 'not good' in me. Till date, I cannot take compliments well. I ask myself - 'are these for me? is it possible for me to get compliments'..............

No comments: