Friday, September 21, 2007

Tell Me Why......

A few days back I had decided that I would learn how to swim. Dhiraj is a great swimmer. So I needed no other coach. We decided to go to the pool after my school. I bought the swimming costume. I put it on and stood in front of the mirror hoping that it dint make me look pathetic. After I got over the initial shock of looking at myself in that skin tight thing, I summed up enough courage to go swimming with my husband, who had to be a supportive husband as well as a swimming coach for me.
The first few days were good. I liked the whole thing a lot. But then there came a time when Dhiraj told me to stop taking the support of the Float and try gliding on my own.
That was when I chickened out. I tried it for a few times, but I just kept going down. Dhiraj kept telling me that I was at the side of the pool where the depth of the water was only about 4 feet. So I could stand up if anything went wrong. But I just couldn’t do it. Didn’t have a clue as to what was stopping me. I could understand what Dhiraj was telling me to do, I realized that unless I let go, I won’t be able to do it. I also understood the mechanics of it. But I couldn’t glide, no matter what.
I stopped going for swimming from that day. It makes me feel like a loser when I say it. But yes, I have not gone back to it again.
I think I have totally forgotten how I learnt to ride a cycle. It must have been traumatic to try and balance and ride it. A ten year old child, learning how to keep her balance and move ahead….. Must have been difficult, I presume.
There must have been the fear of falling; always. But then how did I learn to ride a cycle????? I don’t remember the way I learnt it. But I remember that once I knew how to, I used to keep riding it whenever I could get the time to. I used to go round the colony road endlessly. Never felt tired or bored of it at that time.
So why couldn’t I learn to swim??? Why couldn’t I sum up the courage to just let go…….
Has my age become a barrier?? Or has the time I spent ‘living’ life till now, caused a wall of caution to stop me from anything that might ‘hurt’??????
I wonder……

2 comments:

Archer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Archer said...

suma, age never becomes a barrier for anything. it'a all up there and it's our mind which controls our body. u will be able to do it and i am damn sure of that. the same faith u gotta have in urselves too and believe me, u will. instead on focussing ur mind on how to swim, the mechanics of it, looking awkward..... forget it. enjoy the activity and u would't even come to know when have u started to swim. happy swimming.