Sunday, August 2, 2009

Army life

I usually crib a lot about the life that comes our way in the army. I crib a LOT!!! I never really liked to travel, and am not very good at packing and unpacking. Apart from that I cannot take being bossed around. I dont respect someone unless I think that they deserve it. Well... thats how it is.
And all this stands in the way of my enjoying the army way of life. We have to travel after every two/two and a half years. The locations are not known till one month before the actual shift. Besides, the locations are not very great either. The actual living places being the worst ever. Then comes the packing...... My whole body goes rigid at the mere mention of it actually!!!! But I have learnt to 'not show it'. Hee hee.
I manage to help Dhiraj with it. Though I do it miserably badly, but I try nonedless. The travel itself is done and we go to a new place. And then there is the accepting of the fact that the house is not in the best of conditions and that it has to be repainted with 'chuna' and the 'jaali wale' doors are in a bad state, and.... and.... and.....
hmmm. I am sure one could visualise my situation.
And then comes the unpacking........
I manage through that too. Ofcourse, without Dhiraj, it would be a nightmare. So its done finally.

Apart from the postings, what bothers me most is the dictatorship aspect of the army life. Seniors in the army are ALWAYS correct. Seems so damn pathetic, but thats how it is. And the worst thing is that the wives of the officers have ranks too!!!!!! And they expect to be treated according to their ranks!!!!! Most of the times the actual officers have less egos than their better halves!!!!!!
I have always managed to get irritated over HAVING to respect someone who really doesnt deserve it at all.
Besides, it all seems a big farce to me. Its a great show. All seems fake and untrue. In the end it all comes down to what you can do for me. Which is so damn ridiculous.

Hey, I could go on and on here. As I mentioned earlier, I crib a LOT!!!!!
But inspite of all this, there is a reason why I respect this profession. The reason is not only coz I belive that the soldier is ever ready to lay down his life for his country. But my reason is more personal.
This was the profession that made Dhiraj able enough to stand up on his own in life. I remember the times when he travelled by bus and had no money in his wallet to pay for a decent meal. I know how much he has put in to be where he is now. And nothing can take away that from him. I am damn proud of him. And the army has been there for him from the day he went to IMA.
So how much ever I crib, I cannot undermine the importance and significance of the army in our lives. No way!!!

1 comment:

Archer said...

suma i agree with you on the part of moving every two years or so but believe you me, long time after joe has hung his uniform, and you look back in retrospect, with a cup of tea in your hand, you sure would love it. so would I. moreover, besides army giving us a living, do we ver think what are we giving to it??? i agree it's full of hypocrites, ppl with double standards and sycophancy rules the roost but still we must do something for it. i really don't know how, maybe just by being true to ourselves and the nation; be able to take a stand for our believes, our values and not get carried away by the rat race, 'coz even if one wins this race, one will still stay a rat. ha ha. that was in lighter vein though. that's about it. will continue later......