"My English classes are not compulsory classes" I told the kids of grade 6.
"You are free to walk out if you dont feel like attending my classes. You are free to pursue what you like. It could be dance, art, music or sports. "
I could see the astonishment on their faces. Some faces showed that they were sure I was crazy. Some more felt it a welcome change from the previous teachers, at least they would be able to get out of the class without having to make the efforts of trying to be punished!!!!
I was fortunate enough to work in a very non-conventional school for the past one year. It gave me the freedom to say this to my students. It also made my mind broader towards the field of child education. The Director of the organisation is a unique human being. He once told me about a theory of 'Push and Pull'.
The theory was simple; it said that it was same as 'Wanting to' and 'Having to'. There is a vast difference in pushing people towards the goal and pulling them towards it. People who are pushed have to be pushed till they reach the goal. Mind you, they need the push continously. But those who are pulled towards the goal can be set free and yet they will reach their goal.
I used it in education.
It was my constant effort to make the children genuinely interested in the subject I taught. As a trainer in the school once said,"The children need to know why they are learning what they are learning." Hence I tried to make my classes interesting and ones that involved a lot of practical work. It was a challenge to prepare mundane topics in english in a way that would make every child curious enough to learn it.
I dont know how well I succeeded. But I do remember that at the end of a particular class one of my students said, "This is the first time I feel that I dont need the Sports class, I would rather sit in the English class."
Hope I am able to convert the children who need to be pushed into children who are pulled towards their goals.
8 comments:
so true:)
i completely agree with you,being an english teacher myself i can understand how important it is to make things intersting for students and it is of no use to keep filling their minds if they are not taking anything , rather it is better to leave them free and give freedom to do whatever they wish for:)
Good Job,
I completely second the thoughts.
Somehow I had a thought that the role of teachers is of higher importance then we normally think of.
The idea of writing things down on a blog was equally appreciable.
Tarak.
(A Student always!!)
Yep ! What you said is absolutely correct, fathomable and tangible.. Keep up the good work
Good writing.The role of a teacher is ayways to inspire student.The less we yeach the better they learn.Teaching should only remain as a finger pointing to moon.
Keep on writing.Expecting more from you.
If only we had teachers like you :)
Didn't mean to intrude - was stumbling through the blogosphere when I chanced upon yours. And I must say, you write very very well.
-Kartik.
Oh Now I remember - I stumbled into your blog from an Orkut community. :)
Its been long due now,
but better late than never...
Thanx to all the above( my inner world, tarak, misathrope, man in painting and ks) for your comments and encouragements. They really make me want to write more. :)
Post a Comment